Everyone wants to stay in shape during the holidays, but it always seems like the impossible feat. So much food and drink, so many parties, and so many excuses to not have time to get to the gym or watch what you are eating. Well, I am here to tell you that you can have the best of both worlds. It IS possible to have fun, enjoy some indulgences, and stay perfectly fit and healthy at the same time. You just have to have a PLAN!
The fact of the matter is, there are excuses all year. There is always a party or holiday around the corner- so what is the difference? The difference is that the "holiday season" is a large chunk of time, and if you decide to fall off the wagon completely for the whole thing, you will suffer and pay for it later. However, with a few simple tricks up your sleeve, there is no need to worry. You CAN stay on a routine to living a healthier life.
My 10 Strategies for Staying in Shape during the Holidays
1. Have a PLAN. This is always the most important rule of any healthy routine. If you know you are going to a holiday party, eat healthy the day before. Even though you hope you will get your 5 workouts in a week, plan to only get 3 or 4 in.
2. Set Realistic Goals. Even though you hope you will get your 5 workouts in a week, plan to only get 3 or 4 in. Do not let it all fall apart if you miss a workout or have an extra piece of cake. Get back on that horse, and you will be just fine.
3. Make as Many GOOD CHOICES as possible. If you are one of those people who has 5 holiday parties a week to go to, do not overindulge at every party.
4. GET YOUR EXERCISE. Even if it has to be a shorter workout than you are used to, do it anyways. Even if it has to be a walk on your lunch break, do it anyways. Even if it has to be 100 squats before bed, do it anyways. Just do it. :)
5. GET Friends and Family INVOLVED. We have all been there. Your family wants to sit around and eat all day. Tell them to come for a run, walk, or hike with you. Everyone will be happy they got up and did something.
6. Explore Healthier Food Options. There is a healthier version of everything from EggNog to dark chocolate. Don't go crazy, but if it's not something you really enjoy, either choose a healthier option, or just don't have it. Certain foods are worth it, and certain foods aren't.
7. Be OK with your STRENGTHS and WEAKNESSES, and Don't STRESS. Whether you are a sugar addict, a snack addict, a fun drink addict, a huge meal addict, or all of the above, we all have our weaknesses when it comes to the holidays. Be OK with your weaknesses, and you will have better insight as to what will help you even it out on the other end.
8. Find a Way to Keep Yourself Accountable. There are tons and tons of great apps and programs to track progress and nutrition. Find one that works for you, and it will help you to stay accountable during the holiday season. Working out with a buddy will also keep you accountable for your workouts.
9. DO NOT SKIP MEALS. This is another one we are all guilty of. Well, you have a HUGE Thanksgiving meal around the corner, so you better not eat breakfast. WRONG. Always stick to your regular meals, and you will make better decisions later on. Your metabolism will thank you.
10. Remember WHY you are doing it. Take a good look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself why you have dedicated yourself to a healthier lifestyle. You want to feel better, look better, sleep better, be less stressed, or just be healthier in general. No holiday party should be able to take that away from you. You are stronger than all of the temptations. Just remember to have fun, make good choices, and have a wonderful and healthy holiday season.
Run or Walk 30 minutes
*Simple and can be done with NO equipment*