Paella is a dish that often has many variations. This is a great summer recipe using seafood, chicken & spicy chorizo, and of course it's always best to use local fresh ingredients. Try pairing the dish with one of the Italian white wines from this coming Friday's, 8/9/13, in store wine seminars featuring Abbazia Di Novacella.
6-8 chicken drumsticks
1 pound fresh clams
½ pound fresh shrimp
3 cups chicken broth
1 ½ cup dry white wine
3 tomatoes, diced small
1 container small white beans (16oz)
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 ½ cup arborio rice
1 red pepper
2 links of chorizo
1/2 cup olive oil
Method of Preparation:
1. In a large saucepan, place the chicken drumsticks with some olive oil on the grill and let cook until golden brown. Then add the chorizo and garlic and let them cook for about 5-10 minutes.
2. While the meats are cooking, take the one red pepper and place it on the grill and roast until soft. When it is soft and crispy, take off of the grill and peel off the skins, slice thin and chop. Set aside.
3. Place the Arborio rice in with the chicken and chorizo and stir them together until the rice is covered with the juices from meats. Then add 3 cups of chicken stock. Let them simmer until the broth is completely absorbed, about 10 minutes. Cover the pan with foil to keep the heat in the pan.
4. Once the chicken broth is absorbed add white wine, white beans and red peppers, continue to stir. Once everything is mixed add the clams. (If there is not enough juices, add more chicken stock so the clams can be submerged).
5. Once some of the clams start to open, add the shrimp with foil. Continue to check on the clams. Once they are all open, you can take the saucepan off of the grill, squeeze the lemon over the seafood and serve! Add parsley if needed for decoration.
Recipe Courtesy of Sam DiSegna, The Savory Grape Wine Shop