Let's talk skin. I always say to my clients: "Your makeup will only look as good as the canvas it is applied upon." The most expensive makeup will not look good if your skin is not in good shape. I am NOT a dermatologist, so I can not speak to specific problems and their solutions. However, I can tell you that taking proper care of your skin is the most important thing you can do in the fight against aging and no matter what condition your is skin is in, these tips and tricks will help you:
Always, always, always clean your face before you go to bed. No more excuses! If you are simply too tired, here is my favorite trick: Create a skin care station on your nightstand: Place a pack of makeup remover wipes and your night time beauty products on your nightstand and use them while in bed. Wash your face with a wipe and slap on your face cream and eye cream! Done! Sweet Dreams! You will thank me in the morning. I have done this so many times and it has completely saved me.
- When applying your treatment product and moisturizer, don't forget your neck and chest. These areas are an extension of your face and need to be treated equally.
- This one is obvious, but so true - What you put on the inside will show on the outside. Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins and keep skin hydrated. Coconut water is also amazing! Avoid refined sugars. They cling to collagen and destroy it. Salmon, blueberries, greek yogurt and walnuts are excellent foods for you skin and will help you get your glow on!
- People are constantly asking me how to get rid of age spots and crows feet and how to look "10 years younger". My answer is always the same - Wearing a sunscreen every single day with at least an SPF 50. It is your absolute best weapon in the fight against aging. La Roche Posay (see below) is my favorite.
- Toner feels nice, but is completely unnecessary. Don't waste your money.
- Eye cream,however, is a must! It is non-negotiable!
- Had a long night? Skin lacking a little luster and is in dire need of a little pep in its step? Try Clarins Beauty Flash Balm (see below). It works!
- Don't get caught up in buying the latest "it" beauty product just because everyone else is raving about it. Make sure it is suited for your skin type, otherwise it is money down the drain.
Here are some of my favorite products:
Burts Bees Makeup Remover Wipes, $6.00, available at Drugstores
Clinique "All about Eyes" Eye Cream $30.00 available a Nordstrom
Origin GinZing Eye Cream, $30.00 available at Sephora
RoC Retinol Correction eye cream $18.00 available at Target
CeraVe PM Moisturizer, $13.00 available at Drugstores
La Roche Posay Anthelios, $33.00 available at Target
Rosebud Lip Salve $5.99, available at Beauty.com
Clarins Beauty Flash Balm, $44.00 available at Nordstrom.